List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Pid for dcop
From:       Charles Samuels <charles () kde ! org>
Date:       2002-03-03 23:20:32

søndag 03 mars 2002, 02:54 pm, skrev Waldo Bastian:
> On Sunday 03 March 2002 12:06 am, Charles Samuels wrote:
> > I'de like to add a standard dcop function (to the qt object?) to get the
> > pid of the process.  This is to make kdekillall work on non-linux
> > systems.
> >
> > Would this be acceptable?
>
> It should be noted that you can already call "dcop <app> qt/<app> quit" to
> exit an application via dcop.

It occurs to me suddenly, that if you're going to use kdekillall, the app
probably doesn't respond to dcop messages, since it's locked up somehow.  And
in the event of that, a pid() function would be useless.

Perhaps kdeinit should keep a little db of name->pid, and use a fifo to make
it available to scripts ?

Then you could awk the fifo and get the pid, and then kill that.

-Charles