List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Fwd: We need a Qt 3.0.3 for KDE3
From:       Thomas Zander <zander () planescape ! com>
Date:       2002-03-03 21:39:29

On Sun, Mar 03, 2002 at 04:15:59PM +0100, Ingo Kl?cker wrote:

> On Sunday 03 March 2002 15:23, Lubos Lunak wrote:
> >  Shouldn't this mail be sent somewhere to @trolltech.com instead? I
> > don't think KDE makes any Qt packages.
>
> But KDE is built on Qt. And if I have a look at all the commits to
> qt-copy in the last days (post Qt 3.0.2) then I don't know if Qt 3.0.2
> will be good enough for KDE 3.0. Therefore we should probably delay the
> KDE 3.0 release resp. call the 18 March release KDE3.0RC1 and release
> KDE3.0.0final if Qt 3.0.3 is out.
>
> I anyway would prefer a public RC1 instead of a developer only RC1 next
> week. I guess we all agree that the KDE 3.0.0 release should be as
> stable as possible and not just one of those damn zero-dot-zero
> releases which one better doesn't install.

Please try before crying 'wolf'

Anyway; KDE is (and always has been) released independently of Qt.  I don't
see why KDE should wait for a new release of Qt.  As soon as a new release of
Qt appears then KDE will benefit from fixes there; you don't have to get or
build new KDE packages!

Why do I hear so many people cry 'wait'; please let the release coordinator decide
if the schedule that has been known for quite some time proves to be unrealistic;
until now I have seen nobody giving any reason to doubt Dirks abilities or KDEs
readiness for the market.

Besides; I am quite dissapointed that so short before the deadline people are
saying that the dedication and time given by the many developers (where-ever
they are hacking from) has not been enough to please the user;  do you want
to wait until KDE is perfect?  That will never come, and you know it.