On Friday 01 March 2002 18.01, Dirk Mueller wrote: > On Fre, 01 M=E4r 2002, Lauri Watts wrote: > > We deeply appreciate when you write documentation, but it is less > > appreciated when the result is hundreds of hours work by > > potentially hundreds of other people is summarily thrown out.=20 > > Simply keeping us informed would avoid this. > > I'm very unhappy that this happens. Maybe we should add an ACL for > the doc subdirs to avoid that people mess up the stuff.. I actually considered asking for this, but thought I'd try a little=20 education first. Mostly the developers are accomodating about changing GUI messages=20 during the freezes, letting kde-i18n know, and I think it's just a=20 matter of getting the same cooperation with documentation. Until we had an easy way to translate documents, with the xml2po system=20 coolo wrote us, this kind of thing didn't matter very much, because=20 there was no automation involved. We had the system in place for=20 2.2.2, but it was very new, and there really wasn't very much=20 documentation translated with it by the time the release came around. =20 This 3.0 release is the first time it's got a real workout. On the=20 bright side, KDE has more documentation translated into more languages=20 than it's ever had before, which is a major step forward. It's also=20 shaking out the bugs in our workflow, and making it very clear that=20 more coordination is needed. I think putting ACL's in place now would be more administrative work and=20 might alienate people. Admittedly I don't know how much administrative=20 work it actually is, and if it can be handed off to us to manage, or if=20 it's something we'll be annoying the CVS admins with every five=20 minutes. =20 If we are still seeing the same problems by the time the next release=20 comes along though, it may end up necessary, just to keep our=20 translators (and me) sane. =20 Regards, --=20 Lauri Watts KDE Documentation Coordinator