List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: UTF-8 filenames in KDE 3
From:       Thomas Zander <zander () planescape ! com>
Date:       2002-02-22 11:06:47

On Fri, Feb 22, 2002 at 01:19:59AM +0200, Ilya Konstantinov wrote:
> Concerns with UTF-8 encoding:
> -----------------------------
> - Adoption pains. If we supply an easy to use filename convert utility
> along with KDE3, which'll be an (optional) part of the "first run
> wizard", we could eliminate most of the "my KOI8-R filenames are not
> read by KDE" complaints. I hope the GNOME guys will provide a similar
> utility too. Some of you might oppose this change simply because of the
> support issues that will arrise from it. IMHO, we'd rather do it now
> than drag it forever (and develop compatibility problems with the GNOME
> world).

I think this is a good idea; but I think this should be a system wide thing;
not a new version of KDE/Gnome which wrecks everything...

Can the PR people talk to the main distributors (and Gnome) about providing a
global setting (for the whole machine) about this? (Pour?)

It can't work if a legacy application is on the machine and allows chars that
are illigal in utf8. (&euml; for example)

I know this is a good idea; and yes it is like the 'you can't make an omelet
without breaking eggs' but lets do it so the user does not hurt (too much).

> - Using in the console. With a Unicode terminal (xterm, Konsole, the
> Linux console) and a UTF-8 locale (e.g. en_US.UTF-8), utilities like ls,
> mv etc. will work fine. Linux and Solaris have UTF-8 locales. What's
> about the others?
> - Users should be guided to add the 'utf8' mount option for VFAT, NTFS,
> ISO9660, SMB and UDF filesystems, so that we'll see filenames on those
> filesystems properly. I hope new distro versions ship that way by
> default.

Agreed, but thats mostly distros that should take action.