List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: IOSlave question (trailing slash in URL forces inode/directory?)
From:       aleXXX <alexander.neundorf () gmx ! net>
Date:       2002-02-21 22:22:05

On Thursday 21 February 2002 00:24, David Faure wrote:
> On Thursday 21 February 2002 01:12, aleXXX wrote:
> > I think I have the same problem here with the info and the floppy
> > ioslaves and autocompletion.
> > After entering "info:" konqy tries to list the dir to provide completion
> > entries, but of course it says "dir listing not supported for info".
>
> info.protocol says Listing=Name !
> If it doesn't support listing, then it shouldn't have a Listing=<something>
> entry!

Well, these are the contents of my info.protocol:

[Protocol]
exec=kio_info
protocol=info
input=none
output=filesystem
reading=true
defaultMimetype=application/octet-stream
determineMimetypeFromExtension=false

and it still happens. Does it happen for you too or is my KDE too old ?
The message appears after typing the ":"

(in the next time I will have cvs HEAD again :-)

> > The same happens for "floppy:/", it immediatly starts the floppy to look
> > for completion entries. In this case it has success, but in the case of
> > the floppy it really slows things down.
>
> Well, that's another matter. It supports listing, so KURLCompletion lists
> it. I think this needs another flag or a hack in KURLCompletion, to disable
> listing on slow devices... Same with very slow FTP/SMB/Webdav sites, I
> suppose......

Yes. Don't know neither.
Another flag in .protocol like "SupportsCompletion" or "IsSlow" ?
SMB is usually fast, file is in most cases fast, ftp, http are usually more
or less slow, but not *that* slow. Don't know.

> Maybe a timer would be the best fix for those, although it
> might not help for the floppy:/ case... Dunno.

No, wouldn't help. Once the listing is started, mdir is started and the drive
is in use. This leads to the ugly effect that when entering "floppy:/" the
completion combo box appears more or less quite fast, but pressing enter
leads to the error message ("Cant access drive, still busy"), since it is
still busy from the previous mdir :-/

Bye
Alex