On Thursday February 21, 2002 11:44, Andreas Pour wrote: > Just to clarify on this point a bit. The issue is one of legal > authority. As you know, certificate issuers have procedures in place to > verify that (i) the organization seeking the certificate is legitimate > (easy in this case); (ii) that the organization has authorized the root > certificate; and (iii) that the person submitting the root certificate > is authorized to do so. Probably there is something else I'm missing, > but those are the essential issues. > > With respect to a root certificate the issue is far more serious. There > is no way for us to know you are who you claim to be, or, even if so, > that you are authorized to provide your institution's root certificate. > Verifying this entails certain legal procedures that we are ill-equipped > to handle on our own. It's not that they would be overly complicated, > but you can see the problem if, say, some cracker posing as an official > convinced us to include a root certificate in the browser. Do the ones already included in KDE meet this standard? Be consistent. It's the only way to be fair. -- Neil Stevens neil@qualityassistant.com Don't think of a bug as a problem. Think of it as a call to action.