On Tuesday 19 February 2002 21:35, Waldo Bastian wrote: > On Sunday 17 February 2002 03:57 am, Tobias Koenig wrote: > > On Tue, Feb 19, 2002 at 12:05:18AM +0000, Rik Hemsley wrote: > > > #if Waldo Bastian > > > > > > > Well, I asked it before and I will ask it again: > > > > What is the purpose of KConfigXMLBackEnd? I think once that quest= ion > > > > is answered it will be better possible to answer your remaining > > > > questions. > > > > > > I'm wondering that too. Yes, it would be nice to make parsing 5% ea= sier > > > for non-KDE apps, but this would also make human-parsing 100% harde= r. > > > > 1) xml-backend > > Nobody is forced to use the xml backend, butmaybe there will be users= , > > which are more interessted in a xml-config format instead of speed. > > Please don't missunderstanding me, I do not wish that the xml-backend > > replaces the ini-backend, but it will be a alternative. Won't be a "export as xml" tool be enough for that task ? just a little=20 program which runs over a .desktop file and converts it ? cu Christoph > > Ok. So you want it to be user-configurable. Then there are some problem= s > that you will need to solve: > * Some KDE applications install predefined (global) config files in INI > format, how should that be handled? > * .desktop files are standardized in INI format. Even though other file= s > may be in XML format, it should be possible to read these files in INI > format. > > It should be noted that used this way, there are no functional advantag= es > of XML over INI. Since they both implement the same API, they both deli= ver > the same functionality. The only thing that is different is the > representation. > > You assert that "some users may want to use it" but is that because the= se > users merily want to be buzzword compliant or is it because it allows t= hem > to do better perform a certain task? I don't think the first is a valid > argument, in case of the latter I would like to know why XML would suit > them better. > > > 2) dynamic loading > > Dynamic loading is a means to an end, not a purpose. > > Cheers, > Waldo --=20 | Christoph "Crossfire" Cullmann | KDE developer | cullmann@kde.org | http://www.kde.org=20