Ok, first try, http://dforce.sh.cvut.cz/~seli/download/malloc-kde.tar.bz2 . There's a new configure switch --enable-fast-malloc, which can be either turned off (default, for people who want standard malloc, no matter how slow), or --enable-fast-malloc=full (for people like me who simply want the thing to be fast) and the last one is simply --enable-fast-malloc. The last one uses either standard libc malloc or this faster malloc, depending on $KDE_MALLOC (set to 1 to get fast malloc). Right now, it needs: - x86 - because of the spinlock, but it shouldn't be that hard to "steal" spinlocks for more platforms from LinuxThreads - gcc - because I'm too lazy to think about compilers not having __inline__ in C mode - glibc (only for the $KDE_MALLOC case), because it directly refers to symbols like __libc_malloc . In case FreeBSD etc. people are interested, dlsym() probably can be used instead, if their libc doesn't have such symbols (I should be able to test it soon on a FreeBSD machine here). It works for me(TM). On which platforms should I try to make it work too, before I commit? -- Lubos Lunak llunak@suse.cz ; l.lunak@kde.org http://dforce.sh.cvut.cz/~seli