On Saturday 16 February 2002 15:06, Chris Howells wrote: >On Saturday 16 February 2002 1:37 pm, Daniel Molkentin wrote: > > > >> My point was more that applets should not be embeeded. Thats often ugly >> and > >Presumably you're referring to the current KControl design now? Yepp. [snipp] > >> I wouldn't go and extend the kdeprint slave, I would go for a dedicated >> "control:/" slave (which might even call "print:/".) > >Well, using the kdeprint ioslave as a starting place -- it already seems to > do quite a lot of the stuff already, and without looking at the source, I'd > presume that it could be modified without too much hassle. I'd certainly > rename it to control:/ though. > I only had rough contact with kio-slaves so far so I need to get it a bit deeper. I will surely use kio_print as an entry point. >Good point. One of the bad things I dislike about KControl is that one > module crashing crashes the whole program. Although I'm not entirely sure > what using Konqueror would solve this either. Won't happen anymore with my approach :) >> Another argument is that a typical windows user would expect the settings >> inside Konqueror, just as he knows it from Explorer (which might not >> really be an argument, but anyway it's important for newbies) > >Yes, this is pretty much how I got the idea :) I think having a "My > Computer" style metaphor in KDE would make things easier to use, and I > think Konqueror could easily provide this since it already does most of > what is requird. Being used to booth Unix and Windows I still think the "My Computer" metaphor is rather confusing. In my optionion, the sidebar and the K-Menu should be a guide for the user. > >Additionally, Konqueror provides the ability to use different icons view, > etc, so you can have it look more how you want easily. > That was exactly my idea :) >> - KControl was optimized for speed (see the discussions around the >> implementation of the splash and info screens), when we require to load >> Konqueror each time, it might get slower. OTOH, we get khtml (almost) for >> free. > >Hmm, I'm not fully sure I understand how it will get slower. At its most > basic level, it should just mean starting Konqueror, loading the control:/ > ioslave, and pulling a few icons out, surely? Or am I missing the point? > Due to the fact that Konquerors framework is quite fast and that many users already have an open instance of Konqueror I think we'd be on the safe side. [snip] Cheers, -- Daniel Molkentin | The K Desktop Environment | http://www.kde.org KDE 3.0 - Konquer your Desktop!