List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: arts splitoff and different prefixes
From:       Stefan Westerfeld <stefan () space ! twc ! de>
Date:       2002-02-14 18:51:58

   Hi!

On Thu, Feb 14, 2002 at 05:43:59PM +0100, Bernhard Rosenkraenzer wrote:
> since the point of the arts splitoff in CVS was to make arts more
> accessible to non-KDE applications, I think it should be possible to
> install it to a different prefix (e.g. /usr/include/arts vs.
> /usr/include/kde/arts, /opt/arts/include vs. /opt/kde/include).
>
> Doing this sort of thing currently causes the kdelibs/arts/kde build to
> fail. Should we fix this, or is it something we don't care about?

Definitely. I didn't have the time to look at it yet. What needs to be done
for this is implementing a way how artsd could find plugins installed by
the KDE apps (like noatun), even if artsd is installed with --prefix=/usr
and the noatun plugin resides under --prefix=/opt/kde3 (for instance).

I am not sure which way would be the best. Maybe an environment variable
which distributions could set up (like ARTS_PATH=/usr/lib:/opt/kde3/lib) or a
configuration file in /etc, or even compiling in the KDE directory into the
arts module with a seperate configuration option.

   Cu... Stefan