List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Fwd: KDE timing bug at interrupt level
From:       Stephan Kulow <coolo () kde ! org>
Date:       2002-02-14 10:19:22

Hi!

Could someone make sense out of it? I know that these symtoms
has been reported before, but never with a possible reason.

Greetings, Stephan

Subject: KDE timing bug at interrupt level
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2002 18:33:14 -0800
From: Bruce Korb <bkorb@pacbell.net>
To: kde-core-devel-admin@kde.org

Hi,

I'm not on the list and don't want to be, but thought you
should know the details of a timing bug I have stumbled
over.  The system was left locked up with interrupts disabled.

My config was with a

processor       : 0
vendor_id       : AuthenticAMD
cpu family      : 5
model           : 8
model name      : AMD-K6(tm) 3D processor
stepping        : 12
cpu MHz         : 400.918
cache size      : 64 KB
fdiv_bug        : no
hlt_bug         : no
f00f_bug        : no
coma_bug        : no
fpu             : yes
fpu_exception   : yes
cpuid level     : 1
wp              : yes
flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr mce cx8 pge mmx syscall 3dnow
 k6_mtrr bogomips        : 799.53

my root drive was a small DMA-33 with /usr and /home
mounted from two different DMA-100 disks, but the /home
did not seem to matter.  It is important that /usr was
much faster than /.  The graphic login process would
almost get to the point where the splash logo would
display the percent complete when it would lock up.
This happened about 90% of the time.  Not always.
I was about to insert an NMI board when I chose instead
to punt the small disk and use the /usr drive for root.
The problem has not recurred.  Also, disabling graphic
login and running ``startx'' after a text login also
seemed to resolve the problem.  At least, it worked
twice before I reinstalled again.  Oh, the distro was
the SuSE 7.1 from about a year ago.  I'll give you
whatever version info you want, if you tell me where
to find it.

Cheers,
	Bruce
--

Bruce Korb <first initial + last name at gnu dot org>
AG URL: http://autogen.sourceforge.net