List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: KOnCD
From:       Thomas Diehl <thd () kde ! org>
Date:       2002-02-02 7:30:55

Am Freitag, 1. Februar 2002 23:46 schrieb Christoph Cullmann:

> Just checked out kreateCD from sf.net and compiled ;) Really nice.
> Can only agree, the UI of KreateCD is much more usable and it "has" an
> UI, not only several dialogs like KonCD. For the normal enduser KreateCD
> would be much more usable, because he can create CD's via drag'n'drop
> like it should be. In KonCD you need to fill out the include/exclude
> dir/files lists (k, via fileselector, but...) and that will not be easy
> to use for the normal user (at least not to users coming from windows
> where the have apps like WinOnCD, CreateCD, ....).

If CreateCD is a registered name we may be in for another trademark
conflict. Other than that I can only agree:  CVS version of KreateCD looks
a _lot_ better and more userfriendly (and if I hunt down all the required
alpha versions of cdrecord, cdread etc. it may actually work for me).

> Don't
> want to say KonCD is bad in burning cds, but in my opinion it is a too
> "technical" app for the normal people.

KOnCD does not work for me, the error messages are cryptic for users and its
developer does not react on bug reports at the moment. The user
documentation is partly wrong (esp. in important areas like setting up SCSI
emulation) and overall just as hard to understand as the program itself
(http://lists.kde.org/?l=kde-doc-english&m=101223484217184&w=2 ).

So, yes, I'd also say let's drop KOnCD and go for KreateCD.

Regards,

Thomas

--
KDE translation: http://i18n.kde.org/