List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: KFileDialog, KFileTreeView, KDirLister, something's broken
From:       Carsten Pfeiffer <carpdjih () cetus ! zrz ! tu-berlin ! de>
Date:       2002-02-01 1:18:39

On Freitag, 1. Februar 2002 00:01, Michael Brade wrote:

(can you please keep CCing Klaas, I'm not sure he's subscribed here, thanks)

> > Hmm, but whenever you call openURL(), you expect all directory entries to
> > be emitted, no? From the cache or read from disk.
>
> Yes, but only if _keep == false. I'm not sure what to do if you have a

Hmm, but this treeview always uses keep == false, no? Klaas should know... all
I know is that this treeview doesn't use one KDirLister for all the items,
but one for every branch. So keep should always be false, IMHO.

> treeview, holding url already, and you call openURL(url, true) again... we
> could emit to clear all the items for url and emit them again. Hmm. For
> this I thought about adding a clear( const KURL & ) signal - this would be
> faster than calling deleteItem() for every single item. OTOH some treeviews

Yes, that would make sense.

> store all the items in one list... Suggestions?

Hmm, do they? Which ones, in particular?

> > I'm not sure what you want to do here. You want to open the branch
> > without expanded() being emitted?
>
> yes. because it starts the listing immediately and thus calling addBranch
> will already start the listing immediately as well - which is not its
> intention, I guess. Furthermore the KFileTreeView is quite broken

Not sure it is... Klaas?

> (sorry...) because calling setOpen() in the CTOR after connecting the
> signals correctly it stores the files under the wrong directories. Even
> more, every click to open a closed folder calls KDirLister::openURL() (and
> thus updateDirectory currently) again, regardless if we already have the
> items or not - this defeats the purpose of the cache, obviously.

Sorry I didn't have any time to dig into the KDirLister (or KFileTreeView),
but I thought openURL() would always use the cache if possible, making it
transparent to the user. If this isn't the case (openURL() reloads?), how
would you use it correctly?

Cheers
Carsten Pfeiffer