List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Fwd: Regarding KDE...
From:       Matthias Kalle Dalheimer <kalle () klaralvdalens-datakonsult ! se>
Date:       2002-01-30 12:31:08

Subject: Regarding KDE...
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2002 11:09:19 +0000
From: Helgi Hrafn Gunnarsson <helgi@binary.is>
To: kalle@kde.org

Greetings.

I'm Helgi Hrafn Gunnarsson and I just recently switched back to KDE (2.2.2),
 after having used mostly IceWM for quite some while. The reason, is my
 interest in seeing an entirely open-source, usable desktop environment on
 the UNIX.

I do apologize if I'm e-mailing the wrong person. I have some suggestions for
 KDE. In general, I love giving suggestions which I then see come to life, so
 if you're not the man to speak to, by all means, notify me of the correct
 means to publicize progressing ideas, so I can have a better shot in the
 future. :)

Let there be suggestions!

1. It should be possible to make the icons on the desktop, auto-aligned.
 Instead of constantly having to select "Line up Icons" in the desktop menu,
 that is. This I saw on the mother of GUIs, MacOS, some while back, and I've
 never gotten why nobody bothered to implement it, since everyone seems to be
 making an example of MacOS in every other aspect regarding the desktop
 itself.

2. When configured to have the menubar in the top of the screen (like in
 MacOS, again ;)), there should be an application menu (like in Ximian),
 which lists all the applications. Of course, this would be ridiculous
 practice if the entire list of windows would reside there (as it does in
 Ximian, making it pretty ridiculous), but in light of the fact that the
 applications are already by default grouped together and submenued on the
 taskbar, this would be very handy in a MacOS-style application listing from
 a menu. What could become a problem however, would be making it so, that
 when an application itself is clicked (e.g. not a submenu, but the group
 itself), all the windows (or instances) of that application would spring to
 the front. This should of course be optional, unless there was some special
 place in the menu which would do exactly that. Like a button at the end of
 the caption or something. Being able to name the groups could also be quite
 rewarding in terms of linespace,! !
 and needless to say, the application's icon is mandatory.

3. When opening a file which doesn't have a configured MIME-Type (like PHP
 files by default), it should be optional to make Konqueror read the content
 of the file and determine its type from that. It should be optional because
 there should be a warning message, informing the user of that perhaps he/she
 should define the filename ending to open with a particular application.
 This suggestion of mine, however, would require change in the default
 behaviour of KDE, and is thus entirely a matter of opinion.

These are my ideas. Of course there are a million things anyone can think of
 fixing, but as I said, anyone can think of it so I'll spare you the reading.
 :)

And thank you, and all the developers, for KDE. :)

Peace.
Helgi Hrafn Gunnarsson
helgi@binary.is

Matthias Kalle Dalheimer
President & CEO Klarälvdalens Datakonsult AB
Platform-independent Software Solutions
http://www.klaralvdalens-datakonsult.se