List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: style, color and font changes: now or after RC1/beta2?
From:       Neil Stevens <neil () qualityassistant ! com>
Date:       2002-01-29 1:49:21

On Monday January 28, 2002 04:30, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> hi...
>
> > I think this approach is fundamentally flawed in that it doesn't use
> > KConfig for looking up the settings. KDE applications should read
> > their settings from KConfig, using QSettings instead is a step back
> > that I'm not willing to take.
>
> is your concern simply over using the KConfig vs QSetting class to read
> in / write out the settings? because if so, the qtrc is parseable by
> KConfig ... it uses the same group/item layout ... i don't think that
> the trolls will be able to change this now that they have committed to
> it...

One concern is that the use of KConfig affords certain flexibilities that
are lost when QSettings are used.  Tricks of adding things to KDEDIRS are
wiped out.

> > If Qt applications have no means of adjusting to the KDE settings then
> > that is a shortcoming of Qt that should be fixed in Qt. Degrading KDE
> > to overcome that is not the way to go.
>
> well, Qt _is_ the underlying toolkit here ...

... but that toolkit is *not* making you use the Factory to generate these
styles.

> the end question is, i suppose, whether or not style/color/font/gui
> effect parity between Qt only and KDE apps is a worthwhile goal. i
> suggest asking a dozen average KDE users whether they'd like their Qt
> and KDE apps to look the same or different. i think you'll find the
> answer to be a resounding "yes they should look the same." at least,
> that's the answer i kept getting =)

A follow-up question is, how much is worth sacrificing to reach that goal?

--
Neil Stevens
neil@qualityassistant.com

Don't think of a bug as a problem.  Think of it as a call to action.