List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Accelerator design problem
From:       Simon Hausmann <hausmann () kde ! org>
Date:       2002-01-28 14:14:22

On Mon, Jan 28, 2002 at 03:04:37PM +0100, Simon Hausmann wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 27, 2002 at 10:56:50AM -0500, Ellis Whitehead wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I think we may have a somewhat complicated accelerator problem on our hands.
> >
> > To reproduce:
> > - from kate, select Settings | Show File Selector
> > - click on a file
> > - click back into the editing window
> > - press Delete
> >
> > Even though we're in the edit window, the file selector gets the Delete key.
> > For some keys, this is what we want: with Alt+Left and Alt+Right for
> > navigating files, for example.  (Btw, this doesn't work because the File List
> > widget has already grabbed them.)
> >
> > Somehow we need to be able to specify which scope an individual shortcut
> > should have.  Fortunately this kind of situation doesn't show up much, but we
> > don't yet have a framework for dealing with it when it does.  Anyone have any
> > thoughts about how to address this?
>
> This sounds like a mis-use of accelerators to me. Why does the file
> selector use accelerators for deletion, instead of hooking normally
> into keyPressEvent?

Aha, KDirOperator uses actions :)

Not a bad thing per se IMHO, but it shows an interesting missing
feature in KAction. As accels in KAction work in combination with a
KActionCollection only anyway how, about adding the feature to
KActionCollection to optionally _not_ use KAccel but simply listen
for key events on the widget the actioncollection is associated
with?

Simon