List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: "Close" and "Window Close"
From:       Martijn Klingens <mklingens () yahoo ! com>
Date:       2002-01-27 1:40:06

On Saturday 26 January 2002 22:09, Ingo Klöcker wrote:
> And this is IMO wrong. We shouldn't invent our own private set of
> shortcuts for KDE. Instead we should agree with at least the Gnome
> people on a common set of shortcuts so that the most common functions
> (like Quit, Close, Save, Open, Copy, Paste, Cut, etc.) in KDE programs
> and in Gnome programs can be triggered with the same shortcuts. And
> AFAIK we already agree on this with Ctrl-Q for Quit, Ctrl-W for Close,
> So why on earth should we now all of a sudden
> dump Ctrl-Q in favor of a window manager dependant shortcut just
> because both shortcuts trigger the same action in most KDE programs?

First, the current behaviour is fine with me, as I can use the keys that I
want anyway in KDE. I just wanted to stress that Ellis' point is IMO
completely valid and that the keys *are* duplicate. So it is good to pay some
attention to it. Fact is I always use alt-f4/alt-esc over ctrl-q, regardless
of the OS, the window manager and the app. I only use ctrl-q in DOS or
console apps, because then the window manager close has a different meaning,
for obvious legacy reasons.

Also, I never talked about dumping ctrl-q, nor did Ellis. I only said that it
would be more logical to mention the window manager key in the menu and have
the ctrl-q as a 'hidden' key binding, because they act identical anyway.

If I were using Konq from Gnome I would use Gnome's key for closing a window,
or maybe alt-esc, because I'm used to that, but certainly not ctrl-q. Never
ever. It is certainly good to have the same bindings between both window
managers. But even then the ctrl-q is redundant and could as well be left out
from the menus. Really, I'd rather see alt-f4 or alt-esc shared with Gnome
than ctrl-q. (If it isn't already, I don't know the Gnome key bindings.)

But as I personally can't care less because for me it works like I want, and
it seems people don't want to cut down on the number of key bindings a new
user has to learn and improve the consistency of key bindings between
native/non-native apps and between running on the app's preferred window
manager or another window manager I guess I could as well shut up here...

Martijn