List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: "Close" and "Window Close"
From:       Martijn Klingens <mklingens () yahoo ! com>
Date:       2002-01-26 18:11:05

On Saturday 26 January 2002 18:25, Thomas Zander wrote:
> The above 2 sentences contradict each other.. (or it must seem that we
> agree) Anyway, I agree with what you expect. ^q closes the main window and
> any tool window.
> ALT-F4 _can_ be used to close a tool window, where ^q can not.  Using
> Alt-F4 on a main window will let it do about the same thing as ^q if its an
> application that implements behavior like that.

Probably my wording was wrong because you're telling me exactly what I was
trying to say... only difference is that you think it's good and I think it's
wrong...

ctrl-q works only half of the time and alt-esc/alt-f4 always works. Which is
IMO a reason against publishing it: the user still needs to know
alt-f4/alt-esc, whereas otherwise he has to learn one less keybinding.

(For the record: ctrl-q on a konq window works like alt-f4/alt-esc, and on a
tool window it doesn't do anything at all. nada. So to close the tool window
you need alt-esc/alt-f4 anyway.)

> You are completely right, that is; when you move an application from KDE to
> another WM. But at that moment your example means nothing, as those users
> are used to the way the other WM handles things.

And to the way Konqueror handles things. So when I move to twm I can use
either Konqueror's keys or twm's keys. My point is that the keys of a KDE app
should be also those of the window manager, so you only have to learn one set
of keys instead of two.

> If you are used to alt-esc, then configure KDE to use alt-esc for quit.
> Thats your choice, users of twm or whatever have their preference. Don't
> add another key (or better said; waste another key) so you can also use
> their WMs easier.

Heh... I'm arguing that having a separate 'quit' key wastes a key... Somehow
we're using the same arguments, only from a different viewpoint :-)

> To come back to my last email; if all applications are gnome applications
> then that user will expect kde applications to work the same. It does not
> matter that your alt-esc does not work for him. It does matter if your
> preference key (alt-esc) is used for something else (logout for example)
> and after starting a kde application it stoppes working.

that can never happen, as logout is almost certainly a global accelerator, so
the KDE app should never be able to grab that key in the first place.
Besides, why would ctrl-q not have that problem?

Alt-drag with the mouse is used in gimp. But in the default keyboard scheme
it also moves a window, so in gimp it doesn't work.

> Anyway; if you dont agree; just give me a call or come over to discuss
> this over a beer :)

Hmm... Is FOSDEM a suitable time for you? ;-)

Martijn