List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: "Close" and "Window Close"
From:       Martijn Klingens <mklingens () yahoo ! com>
Date:       2002-01-26 13:46:57

On Friday 25 January 2002 12:16, Thomas Zander wrote:
> It is intentional.
> Not all windows are document windows. Helper windows (a good example are
> the new drag-off toolbars in QT3) can be closed with Alt-F4. Pressing ^Q on
> them will close the application. Quite different.

Doesn't work for me here. ctrl-q only works if konq has focus, not a toolbar
window after I drag it away.

BTW, the window border of a standalone toolbar seems to be unstyled, which
looks rather ugly to me. Also the window doesn't have a close button. And
last, closing the window with alt-esc doesn't toggle the 'show ... toolbar'
flag in konqueror's menu. As a result the menu option will get inverted
behaviour, quite confusing. The upside is that I don't like these separate
toolbars anyway, so they don't affect me personally ;-)

> There is a distinct difference and the two should stay seperated.

Well... I didn't see the difference. And referring to earlier discussions
ctrl-q certainly doesn't close all associated windows, like all open konq
windows. So AFAICS ctrl-q always behaves equal to alt-esc.

Having ctrl-q as a key is obviously required for compatibility reasons with
older versions and other OS's. Having it the *default* key is not. alt-esc is
a more logical shortcut, because it closely resembles the 'esc' to close a
dialog. And it works always, because it is the window manager key when run
from KWin.

Come to think of it, I think it would be *good* if a KDE app used the window
manager keys by default and didn't try to invent new key bindings instead.
Again, the ctrl-q has to stay in the code for legacy reasons. But IMNSHO it
doesn't really have to stay in the menu.

> Btw. ALT-F4 is a kwin feature; meaning it works on non-kde applications as
> well, ^Q is a standard accell, meaning only KDE applications use that, even
> when run in (for example) twm. Combining them does not mean you can remove
> one of both.

Hmm? Konq could request alt-esc as close key if the window manager doesn't
already define it. Then konq can be close by definition with alt-esc
regardless of the window manager. Sounds more consistent to me, actually.

Even worse is the ctrl-w sequence to close a document. I regularly (try to)
use it to delete a word in a line edit, like in the shell. Obviously the key
doesn't work, but the resulting close has already cost me work. Luckily my
keyboard scheme doesn't define ctrl-w anymore and uses ctrl-esc instead, so
for me it's sane. But not many people use the 4-key keyboard scheme in KDE.

Martijn

PS: In case you didn't guess so, alt-esc is known to most of you as alt-f4...