List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: 3.0 RELEASE: Heading RC1
From:       Mirko Boehm <mirko.boehm () home ! com>
Date:       2002-01-25 22:26:58

Don Sanders wrote:

> Multiple frontends is fine, but multiple backends is
> troublesome.
>
> kabc is working fine and provides the much requested
> distribution list support that is missing in kdelibs/kab.
> I think kdelibs/kab should be removed and kdeutils/kab
> should be ported to kabc.

Since there seems to be agreement on prefering kabc over kab we agreed
on kdepim to port kab to kabc and remove libkab. And I will try to port
kab to kabc in time, although I am not sure if I can make it in time. If
I will not be able to make it for the final KDE 3.0, I will disable
compilation in the release and take care to finish afterwards.

The only thing I am not sure of is whether Cornelius tools to transfer
the databases from libkab to kabc depends on libkab, too. I think so, as
he loads the existing address database using the libkab API. This makes
sense, so there are two ways to go on - either incorporate the libkab
code into the conversion tool or leave libkab somewhere where it will
not be used as a address interface but to access existing databases.
Since it is not a big one, this should work too. I prefer incorporating
the code into the conversion tool, though. Maybe I can do it tonight.

So. The end of an era :-) At least for me. I am not sure if we really
know where we are going with all the PIM stuff, but I will introduce the
PIM server I designed right after KDE 3.0. The first code will go to
kdenonbeta next wek.

See you guys,

--Mirko.