List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Qt-only KDE applications
From:       Waldo Bastian <bastian () kde ! org>
Date:       2002-01-24 19:53:48

On Wednesday 23 January 2002 02:59 am, Benjamin Meyer wrote:
> Trolltech did most of the work with abstracting qt and
> it only makes sense to try to get kdelibs for windows first. I am surprised
> that someone hasn't tried already. And I hear that person in the back who
> says kde-cygwin is here. Here I am laughing back at you. Tell any average
> person that you have to install an "emulator" to run the app and they will
> almost laugh at you too. cygwin is not the answer.

That person would be me I guess... I don't consider cygwin a final solution
but a step in the direction of a native window port. Whatever has to be
changed for cygwin, will surely have to changed for a full native port, and
then some more. I think kde-cygwin would be a good starting point for full
native port.

As far as "I am surprised that someone hasn't tried already". I have heared
from one person with Windows programming experience who was interested in
working on this but I I don't think he has actually started with it.

Cheers,
Waldo
--
bastian@kde.org  |   SuSE Labs KDE Developer  |  bastian@suse.com