List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Qt-only KDE applications
From:       Rik Hemsley <rik () kde ! org>
Date:       2002-01-23 13:03:36

#if Matthias Ettrich

> It's not only portability that is the issue here. Some of the KDE features I
> was talking about simply don't make a lot of sense on a MS-Windows desktop.
>
> Take the file dialog, windows users already have one. Or the printing system.
> Or the standardized icons. Or the webbrowser. Or the desktop bus (DCOP). Even
> kconfig does not make much sense if the OS offers a registry (hence the
> simpler QSettings).
> [...]

Two reasons to see KDE apps working on Windows and MacOS X:

1. When a KDE user is forced to use Win/MacOS, they get to use KDE and
   feel at home.

2. Win/MacOS users can try out KDE apps without UNIX. If your favourite
   apps are KDE apps, then you may be tempted to move to UNIX to get a
   more stable and powerful underlying OS.

Rik