List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Qt-only KDE applications
From:       Henrik Johnson <hpj () globecom ! se>
Date:       2002-01-22 23:12:05

Waldo Bastian wrote:

>On Tuesday 22 January 2002 04:45 am, Matthias Ettrich wrote:
>
>>An application using libQtKDE is somewhere in the middle between a standard
>>Qt-only application and a true KDE application using the KDE API. But this
>>is seeing it from the programmer's perspective. For the user, it will much
>>closer to a true KDE application. Just that the same binary will run
>>without having KDE installed - with a slightly different look and feel and
>>less functionality.
>>
>>Opinions? Do you think that would be useful at all?
>>

>Yes, I think this is very important. We are currently in the unfortunate
>position that we basically have to compete with Qt itself to get third party
>KDE applications. That's not healthy. For the same reason I would like to see
>basic parts of the KDE framework extended to other platforms, kde-cygwin
>plays an important role in that I think, but that route will take a long
>time.

The problem with this is that when you distribute applications on the
other desktop environment you would need to distribute the kde-cygwin
part as well and I wouldn't get my hopes up on many application
developers actually jumping on this bandwaggon, distributing Qt is a big
enough hassle in itself as it is. Just my 2c worth.

/Mauritz
GlobeCom AB