List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Qt-only KDE applications
From:       Waldo Bastian <bastian () kde ! org>
Date:       2002-01-22 20:11:59

On Tuesday 22 January 2002 04:45 am, Matthias Ettrich wrote:
> An application using libQtKDE is somewhere in the middle between a standard
> Qt-only application and a true KDE application using the KDE API. But this
> is seeing it from the programmer's perspective. For the user, it will much
> closer to a true KDE application. Just that the same binary will run
> without having KDE installed - with a slightly different look and feel and
> less functionality.
>
> Opinions? Do you think that would be useful at all?

Yes, I think this is very important. We are currently in the unfortunate
position that we basically have to compete with Qt itself to get third party
KDE applications. That's not healthy. For the same reason I would like to see
basic parts of the KDE framework extended to other platforms, kde-cygwin
plays an important role in that I think, but that route will take a long
time.

Cheers,
Waldo
--