List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Qt-only KDE applications
From:       Neil Stevens <neil () qualityassistant ! com>
Date:       2002-01-22 17:28:47

On Tuesday January 22, 2002 09:03, Simon Hausmann wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 22, 2002 at 08:44:10AM -0800, Neil Stevens wrote:
> > So everyone wins but users who want real KDE apps.  Lovely.
>
> What is your definition of a real KDE application?

Mine is one that follows the standards and practices of the desktop, as
defined in the documented standards.

Using KDE classes is a necessary, but insufficient, condition to being a
KDE app.

A lot of work (yet still not enough?) goes into laying out menus, and
organizing things just right, to get KDE apps as consistent and usable as
possible.   Apps that neglect all of that are not KDE apps, in my view.

> Mine is that it uses KDE classes, so that the user gets the feeling
> of a very integrated application. And surprise, this is _exactly_
> what Matthias is proposing to make easy to accomplish for Qt apps.

Except that they won't even have basic things like the KDE icons, menu
layouts, button layouts, and about boxes.

--
Neil Stevens
neil@qualityassistant.com

Don't think of a bug as a problem.  Think of it as a call to action.