List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Qt-only KDE applications
From:       Shawn Gordon <shawn () thekompany ! com>
Date:       2002-01-22 16:24:45

On Tuesday, January 22, 2002, at 08:12 AM, Matthias Elter wrote:

> Neil Stevens wrote:
>
>> On Tuesday January 22, 2002 04:45, Matthias Ettrich wrote:
>>> Opinions? Do you think that would be useful at all?
>>>
>> I think it'd discourage KDE application development, encouraging
>> instead Qt application development, because it'd make people think
>> that Qt apps could be "close enough" for KDE users to tolerate.  So
>> it'd be harmful to KDE.
>> Ultimately, it won't ever make Qt apps be real KDE apps anyway, so KDE
>> users lose.
>

> No thats wrong. Applications using Qt because of its cross platform
> aspect will never be real KDE applications anyway. So KDE users win by
> any degree of integration of Qt only applications we can offer.
>
> Greetings,
> Matthias

Not to mention this is short sighted.  one of our goals at theKompany is
to encourage people over to Linux and KDE by offering them cross
platform for the same price.  It reduces their risk and expense to
switch to a new platform, and gives them a chance to try it out and use
applicaitons already familiar to them.  Coding to KDE is easier than
coding to Qt typically, but it also creates for a distribution nightmare
for a company like me that needs to deliver pre-compiled binaries to the
customer.  Hopefully companies like myself won't be in such short supply
forever, and it encourages more use of the tools by companies if they
can do something like this.

Shawn