List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: [RFC] KMenu tidy up post KDE 3.0
From:       Neil Stevens <neil () qualityassistant ! com>
Date:       2002-01-20 13:14:39

Seems to me that breaking up *large* menus is a good idea, but I see no
reason to break up even the ones that aren't too big yet.  System is
large, utilities is large, games was large.  But multimedia is about the
same size as koffice, as is network.  Why break those up?

On Friday January 18, 2002 12:01, Chris Howells wrote:
> Internet ->
> 	Tools (nmapfe, kppp, etc)
> 	Mail/News (Konqueror, KMail, Mozilla, etc)
> 	Instant Messenger (ksirc, kit, xchat, etc)

Konqueror in mail and news?  That's quite a stretch.  I also suggest not
to make the arbitrary distinction between messaging and "instant"
messaging.

This break up would leave no more than a few items per menu.  With only a
few items per menu, and some hard to make distinctions between types, the
result will be a harder-to-navigate menu.  So just leave it as one big
Internet for now, I'd say.

Why would it be harder?  Having to check two or three submenus for the
desired app is slower than scanning one alphabetized, reasonable-sized
list.

> Multimedia ->
> 	Audio (xmms, kmidi, kscd, etc)
> 	Video (aktion, kwintv, real player, etc)
> 	Tools ( kmix, arts control, kmix v4lsetup, etc)
> 	[Directly under Multimedia] (noatun, kaboodle, etc)

More distinctions that are really hard to make.  Why isn't kmix audio?
This menu really isn't that big either.  Just remove Timidity.

> Office ->
> 	KOffice (KWord, KSpread, etc)

Adding a level with no gain in navigability.

--
Neil Stevens
neil@qualityassistant.com

Don't think of a bug as a problem.  Think of it as a call to action.