List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Icons on Buttons - again
From:       Thomas Zander <zander () planescape ! com>
Date:       2002-01-19 17:47:53

On Sat, Jan 19, 2002 at 04:44:57PM +0000, Mike Richardson wrote:
> On Saturday 19 January 2002 2:57 pm, Thomas Zander wrote:
> > Excuse me for stating the obvious; the button is an icon AND a word. If
> > you seperate them then there is no gain in using the icons. Please don't
> > make the mistake that there is suppost to be an icon for every button; that
> > was never the purpose!
> > The icon complements the word and both together will be able to show a more
> > consistent desktop.
>
> Sorry, I think this is wrong. The icon is a visual representation of the
> action that the button performs; the text is a textual description of what
> the button does. They __individually__ mean the same thing.

This is your opinion on what the rules (should) be.
The system is being written by the KDE authors, the rules are not yet made.
I don't say my opinion is the best there is; but yours adds little to the
usability of KDE.

> Think of a tool bar where you can select text+icon or text or icon. You view
> would lead to identical controls if you turn off text

As buttons have the combination of an icon and a text, and with toolbars the
text is optional (and rarely used) this is a really bad reason to assume the
workings of the button icons.

/me leaving this discussion to the implementors