List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: [RFC] KMenu tidy up post KDE 3.0
From:       Thomas Zander <zander () planescape ! com>
Date:       2002-01-19 12:11:13

On Fri, Jan 18, 2002 at 08:01:31PM +0000, Chris Howells wrote:
> Hi,
>
> This is a proposal of some changes that I'd like to see before KDE 3.0.
>
> Problem:
> ---------
>
> The KMenu is currently a rather untidy mess. It's very hard to find anything,
> since there are long lists of programs in the sub-menus.

Good point!

> Suggested Solution:
> ------------------
>
> The KMenu should be further split up into hierachial sub-menus under each of
> the current main menu items (e.g. Application, Development, Editors).

I don't like that solution because many researchers have proven that people
(the ones not being programmers) can't remember below one hierarchical level.
In other words; if you do this people can't remember where an application is
and will be looking a lot longer.
I know that you intend to make some solution that takes away the need to
remember by simply thinking where an application would be located; you will
find it there!  But alas people simply don't do it like that.

> The
> result of this would be to create an effect rather like the Games menu is
> split up now; applications are split up into more clearly defined genres.
Look at "SameGame"; its under tactics & strategy. The label next to it however
shows Board game.
Maybe this is a stypid bug; but I suspect it will prove harder then you think
to make a distinction that makes sense. Where people will start looking at the
same position where you put it.

> Suggestion Implementation of Solution:
>
> I suggest removing the Utilities menu. All of the applications would be better
> listed elsewhere (see below).
>
> I also suggest the addition of a PIM menu.

PIM is not something people tend to recognise. What about;
- agenda
- groupware
- my memory
- my info