List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Support for animated icons (on mouseover)
From:       Hans Meine <hans_meine () gmx ! net>
Date:       2002-01-17 23:34:55

Thomas Zander <zander@planescape.com> writes:

> Naturally I have no problem with configuring this to be disabled
> when the user finds it too slow. But c'mon how many old machines are
> out there that can't run this!
> So again I agree with tackat!

IMHO there is, however another point: Try running a KDE application
remotely (over single ISDN/slower network). It works quite well
(better than I'd have expected) but those eye-candy features get in
your way. I.e. many icons, buttons and stuff have hovering-features
which make reactions slower. There should be

a) the possibility to switch excessive such features off

b) an effort to minimize X roundtrips throughout such code. For
   example, if I use simple styles and switch off MNGs,
   <non-X-expert-mode>isn't it possible and wished not to watch the
   mouse so thoroughly</non-X-expert-mode>?

--
Ciao,  /  /
      /--/