List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Support for animated icons (on mouseover)
From:       David Faure <david () mandrakesoft ! com>
Date:       2002-01-17 23:20:23

On Friday 18 January 2002 00:11, Waldo Bastian wrote:
> On Thursday 17 January 2002 05:44 am, David Faure wrote:
> > > I have to try it to want it defaulted off?  I can't apply common sense,
> > > and experience with other animations locking up my XServer?
> >
> > This is about changing the icon's pixmap, a simple
> > QIconViewItem::setPixmap()! How is this going to lock up your X server
> > ??????
>
> That happens in the QMovie::current_frame() call where the frame is prepared
> and send to the X-server. It doesn't lock up the X-server of course, but it
> certainly causes traffic.

Err, you were the one who convinced me to use QMovie & MNG instead of the
kimage_concat solution.... But there isn't much difference, right ? Both send
a pixmap to the X server ?

> The biggest performance problem is probably just the disk-access for opening
> the movie. That's not a problem when your system is idle, but when you have
> pressure on your io-system it might take a while. In that case it would
> probably make the UI jerky.
Yup. That's why Dirk's idea of moving the movie to the iconview (and keeping
the last one in memory for a while) might be helpful.

http://people.mandrakesoft.com/~david, http://www.konqueror.org
KDE 3.0: Konquering the Desktops