List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Support for animated icons (on mouseover)
From:       Dirk Mueller <mueller () kde ! org>
Date:       2002-01-17 20:57:48

On Don, 17 Jan 2002, David Faure wrote:

> KonqIconViewItem is called KFileIVI (i.e. "file icon view item" to put the
> emphasis on the fact that this iconview item represents a file).
> Well, isn't it always better to put such support high-enough in the class
> hierarchy ? I asked Tackat, and he said it'd be better to be able to have
> animated icons even out of Konqueror - one example could be the icon chooser
> dialog, where mngs could be shown animated.

Yeah, hmm, I'm not sure.

> I'd like you to test it, indeed. I was against the idea of animated icons, but
> the animation isn't too annoying - testing this patch shows that it's the
> tooltip that is annoying IMHO; it should be delayed.

Ok, I tested it. Its really nice - astonishing effect, minimal impact. It do
has some bugs though:

- try hovering the trashcan on kdesktop - whoops!

- you only want this overlay when you use the icon in the same size. I have
  a smaller icon size, and the animated overlay is bigger - causing the
  hovered item to move under my mouse pointer, eventually flickering
  horribly and making it break the animation effect.

also, I'm wondering if we really want to recreate the QMovie on every item
during hovering. - it means reloading the file again from disk. It might be
better to cache it in the IconView itself and delay destruct it after using
(free it after 1 minute or so). it seems the people want a minimum inpact
animation - so we should make it at least a bit efficient.

Dirk