List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Support for animated icons (on mouseover)
From:       David Faure <david () mandrakesoft ! com>
Date:       2002-01-17 13:22:31

On Thursday 17 January 2002 14:12, Neil Stevens wrote:
> On Thursday January 17, 2002 04:58, David Faure wrote:

> > > So much for making KDE 3 faster than KDE 2.
> >
> > Did you test the patch ?
> >
> > There's nothing in here that makes it slower. The animation is loaded on
> > demand, you can click the icon even if the animation is running....
>
> Oh, right.  The patch adds an animation, but puts zero cost on the CPU or
> RAM.  I guess I should test this magic patch, and see about applying its
> behavior to other code.

No need to be ironic. I didn't say it didn't use the CPU while the animation
was running (it's just about displaying 5 pixmaps btw, i.e. same as if you
had 5 more files in the directory).
I said that this happens while the CPU isn't used by something else (in this
process at least), and it doesn't slow the _user_ down - that was my main
point.

> Seriously though, this patch does nothing useful.  It doesn't allow the
> user to do anything faster, better, or easier.  It doesn't make KDE
> runnable in more places, with less CPU, RAM, or disk space.  This behavior
> falls into the same category as pseudo-transparency in menus or animated
> combo boxes, yet those are defaulted off.  Why should this one be any
> different.

I think the colors on the icons is useless too, pure eye-candy. Let's default
to black and white icons, and let's put color as an option only.
(hey if you can be sacarstic, I can be too).

> If this sort of policy becomes normal, that pure bloat for looks is
> defaulted on, then it'll give credibility to the common charge that KDE is
> bloated.
I was expecting such reactions, and that's why I agree we have to make it
configurable. Unlike tackat, I can conceive that a large category of users
don't want such things ;)

However I would really appreciate if you would actually test the patch before
commenting blindly on it.

http://people.mandrakesoft.com/~david, http://www.konqueror.org
KDE 3.0: Konquering the Desktops