List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Support for animated icons (on mouseover)
From:       David Faure <david () mandrakesoft ! com>
Date:       2002-01-17 9:57:12

On Thursday 17 January 2002 02:03, Dirk Mueller wrote:
> On Mit, 16 Jan 2002, David Faure wrote:
>
> > The patch moves m_size from KFileIVI to KIconViewItem -> no change for
most
> > iconviews, however this makes the patch BIC.
>
> .. makes me wonder why there is no d pointer

Whoops. Didn't think of adding one when creating this class for KWordWrap.
My mistake - will fix on Friday (hopefully when committing this patch ;)

> and why it should be done in
> KIconViewItem and not in KonqIconViewItem (I think that existed somewhen
> although I currently can't find it anymore).

KonqIconViewItem is called KFileIVI (i.e. "file icon view item" to put the
emphasis on the fact that this iconview item represents a file).
Well, isn't it always better to put such support high-enough in the class
hierarchy ? I asked Tackat, and he said it'd be better to be able to have
animated icons even out of Konqueror - one example could be the icon chooser
dialog, where mngs could be shown animated.

> I haven't tested the patch yet - my voting depends on if the icon animation
> is annoying and big enough that users would require a configure option for
> it (in case it does, it would be "no"). I hope I have time for trying
> tomorrow. But it seems I'm outvoted already anyway ;)

I'd like you to test it, indeed. I was against the idea of animated icons, but
the animation isn't too annoying - testing this patch shows that it's the
tooltip that is annoying IMHO; it should be delayed.

http://people.mandrakesoft.com/~david, http://www.konqueror.org
KDE 3.0: Konquering the Desktops