just a note regarding the "full-contents-tooltips": you can't mark anything in a tooltip. why this could be a problem: imagine, you have some program, that internally requests ultra-long urls. now a messagebox appears "weird error processing http://this.is.long.no/cgi-bin/script.php?[...]haste+nich+gesehen". as you can't mark it, you'll have a real problem checking out by hand, what's wrong ... maybe, in that case just logging the error with the full url is the correct solution, but there may be other cases. so after all i think, it's not good to squeeze anything. breaking long "words" for displaying and hacking the selection code to not put the automatic linebreaks into the clipboard seems more sensible to me. greetings -- Hi! I'm a .signature virus! Copy me into your ~/.signature, please! -- Nothing is fool-proof to a sufficiently talented fool.