List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: K-Menu Names
From:       Cristian Tibirna <tibirna () kde ! org>
Date:       2002-01-16 3:22:58

On Tuesday 15 January 2002 14:51, Daniel Molkentin wrote:
> On Monday 14 January 2002 17:51, Richard J.Moore wrote:
> >Tooltips in menus are a bad idea from a UI point of view. Please don't do
> >this.
>
> I don't see the point here. For normal menus, I agree, but the K Menu needs
> to be more verbose than any other menu. Tooltips are delayed, so they won't
> distrub the user commonly. Never forget: they can provide real help to
> unexpirienced users.

The so-wide K-menu is _ugly_. Tooltips on menus are bad style/GUI-design.

IMHO we would need a better solution. What about an equivalent of the
"what's_this" mechanism? I.e., some checkbox in the menu that would pop up a
tooltip-like largish pad somewhere near the menu and in which helpful text
(even more that what a tooltip or the current inlined comments could provide)
would be printed as mouse pointer hovers the menu items. Once a menu item is
clicked, the largish pad is hidden/deleted and the checkbox unchecked again
(or have a tristate checkbox? - "show the pad never/once/always")

My humble opinion.

CT