List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Fwd: Re: Using ogg instead of wav (was: [Kde-games-devel] Re: Sounds for Kolf)
From:       David Faure <david () mandrakesoft ! com>
Date:       2002-01-13 21:17:02

Subject: Re: Using ogg instead of wav (was: [Kde-games-devel] Re: Sounds for
Kolf)
Date: Sun, 13 Jan 2002 13:18:47 -0700
From: Jack Moffitt <jack@xiph.org>
To: david@mandrakesoft.com
Cc: coolo@kde.org

I don't know quite where to send this since I read it off the web.  I
was told you two would be a good bet :)  If this isn't the place, can
you please pass this along to the right people?

>> > I don't think so. We don't hard require audiofile either afaik. And
>> > libogg hasn't even a release (only a candidate)
>> > Well, it wouldn't have to be a hard requirement for libogg either.
>> > If the
>> playobject is missing at runtime you just don't hear the sounds.
>
>...whereas you can hear them currently, so this would be a stepback.
>I suggest delaying until libogg is released, at least.
>And putting it in kdesupport for developers' convenience then.

A friend pointed me to this discussion...

I'd like to add a quick note about our releases.  While it's try there's
no 1.0 Ogg Vorbis libs, they have been production quality for some time.
We made a list of features early on that would justify a 1.0 and we plan
to stick to it.  The code is quite stable and well tested.

Additionally the decoder was finalized with 1.0rc1 release some time ago
(last august?) and since rc2 (one bug was fixed) hasn't changed at all.
For your purposes of reading ogg files, you can consider this part of
our libraries finished.

The encoding api changed slightly for rc3, and is now also frozen.  rc4
will be more tuning and streaming features under the hood and barring
bugfixes, rc4 and 1.0 will be the same code :)

I don't think there's a good reason to wait for 1.0 for what the plan
seems to be here.  The libs at this poitn already ship with all the
major distros as well, so the dependency wouldn't even be that
noticeable at this point :)

Glad you guys like vorbis in any case.

jack.