List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: RFC: Decouple kdeinit from kcontrol modules
From:       Lubos Lunak <l.lunak () sh ! cvut ! cz>
Date:       2002-01-04 20:28:19

On Fri 4. January 2002 20:50, Oswald Buddenhagen wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 27, 2001 at 12:15:08PM -0800, Waldo Bastian wrote:
> > On Thursday 27 December 2001 09:07 am, Daniel Molkentin wrote:
> > > My question (hello Waldo, Lubos ;) is wether it would bring an
> > > effective speedup. What was the original idea behing coupling
> > > KControl and Startup stuff anyway?
> >
> > They are functionally coupled. It typically performs some
> > initialisation based on a setting that you can set with the control
> > module. Think modular design.
>
> that wouldn't prevent us from splitting the modules with an init part
> into a (big) setup lib and a (small) init lib. the question is, how
> much it would gain us. i consider one second startup time a lot. less

 The answer is, I'm afraid, to try it. Simply comment out (#if 0 ... #endif
is your friend) everything from all kcontrol modules that have X-KDE-Init,
run kcminit and see the difference.

> than 0.5 seconds (on my 450 mhz machine, that is :) is not worth the
> trouble.

 I personally doubt it will make noticeable difference, most of kcontrol
modules are quite small. Putting all initialization from kdebase/kcontrol in
one lib as Waldo suggested should make better improvement, which hopefully
would be even worth it.

--
 Lubos Lunak
 llunak@suse.cz ; l.lunak@kde.org