List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Kicker keyboard navigation patch and kicker keyboard focus problem
From:       John Firebaugh <jfirebaugh () kde ! org>
Date:       2002-01-04 4:32:24

Hi Hamish,

> I have implemented keyboard navigation of the kicker menu - see the
> attatched patch (but note focus problem below).  I'm posting this here to
> see if everyone is ok with applying it before 3.0; I'm happy for it to wait
> if need be.

I think this definitely should go in now. Keyboard navigation in the KMenu is
one of the most frequently requested features for Kicker.

> The navigation works as follows. The first item from the top with the
> matching first letter is selected. If it is the only match on the menu, it
> is executed; otherwise, further presses of the same key cycle between
> matching entries.

I would rather see the following algorithm: the letters typed are buffered and
used to perfom an incremental search. There is a short timeout value after
which the buffer is cleared and typing again begins a new incremental search.
This is the form of keyboard navigation used in the Konqueror file views; it
is familiar, easy to use, and efficient.

> There is one problem at the moment. The menu currently loses keyboard focus
> after the first keypress

This appears to have been fixed.

later,
John