List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: icon server
From:       Waldo Bastian <bastian () kde ! org>
Date:       2001-12-28 19:01:05

On Friday 28 December 2001 05:36 am, aleXXX wrote:
> > On to plan B then.. that would be to try to delay loading icons as much
> > as possible. E.g. icons used in menu's theoretically don't need to be
> > loaded
>
> Yes, this has to be done in the xmlgui stuff.
> Maybe also for the toolbars.
> Also often KActions are created with a call to one of the functions in
> kiconloader.h, which all load the icon immediatly and return a QPixmap or
> QIconSet. To change this the return type would have to be changed to
> something which loads the icon later when needed.

Actually Lubos has already made a very nice patch for this which works very
well with a minimum of disruption. It only requires some small changes in Qt,
but I'm confident that the Trolls will go along in that.

> > until the menu is actually shown. Konqueror loads about 150 icons on
> > startup, (50 of which are for the cogwheel) but I only see about 30 icons
> > on the screen. That seems to indicate that we can load about 70 icons
> > later.
> >
> > Some other things I noticed while looking at konqueror with strace:
> > * We load about 50 images for the rotating cogwheel, making that a single
> > .mng should be faster one would think.
> > * favicons that aren't there are searched in about 20 directories where
> > they most certainly will not be either. It is really not neccessary to
> > look for
> > /ext/kde-head/share/icons/hicolor/16x16/mimetypes/favicons/developer.kde.
> >or g.png
>
> Yes. Icons are searched in very many dirs, it should be possible to limit
> this.

favicons are now stored in share/cache/favicons and searched there and only
there.

Also the cogwheel is now stored in a single image instead of 50.

Cheers,
Waldo