List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    KAction/KGuiItem and iconset/iconname
From:       Lubos Lunak <l.lunak () sh ! cvut ! cz>
Date:       2001-12-27 23:05:01

 Hello,

 could somebody please explain to me why KAction/KGuiItem store both QIconSet
and QString (i.e. name) for the icon?

 I see from cvs log that KAction first stored only QIconSet and in revision
1.39 kaction.h the icon name was added. The was before KDE2.0, so I guess
there was a reason why QIconSet stayed, but I don't understand it (actually,
I don't know that much about KAction etc. in general). To me, keeping
QIconSet in KAction doesn't make sense - how is KAction supposed to know what
icon size will be used? Code in KAction mixes the iconset and iconname,
sometimes using this, sometimes using that (see e.g. the comment in
KAction::setIconSet()).

 Does somebody know a good reason for not removing the iconset and
constructors taking iconset? Method iconSet() would still stay I guess,
probably with one argument for icon size. IMHO there's no point for having
QIconSet constructors when one can simply pass the icon name as well.

 I'd like to remove the iconset because a) it doesn't look ok to me the way
it is, b) I'm going to do some changes in the icon loading and the mixed
usage of iconset/iconname in KAction/KGuiItem/KToolBarButton confuses me a
bit (yes, KToolbarButton should suffer some changes too, it mixes usage of
several QPixmap's with QIconSet too, it's even marked there as TODO).

--
 Lubos Lunak
 llunak@suse.cz ; l.lunak@kde.org