List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    RFC: Decouple kdeinit from kcontrol modules
From:       Daniel Molkentin <molkentin () kde ! org>
Date:       2001-12-27 17:07:16

Moin!

Holger and I prepared patches to port kcontrol over to use KGenericFactory as
suggested by Simon.

While looking through the code, I found that kcmimit, the program used to load
program specific code on KDE startup.

The loader searches for all .desktop files that have a X-KDE-init entry and
load the whole lib just to load a (rather small) _init function in the
"extern C" block.

I think it would be nice if we could decouple the init stuff and put it into
own libs (libkinitfoo) as I think it could speed up things as klibloader
doesn't need to load the rest of the lib (such as the rather big and
expensive graphic stuff).

My question (hello Waldo, Lubos ;) is wether it would bring an effective
speedup. What was the original idea behing coupling KControl and Startup
stuff anyway?

As we now have the kde_module directory (lib/kde3), we wouln't even pollute ld
with the new libs.

Cheers,

</daniel>

--