List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    (whishlist) Relaxing KSimpleConfig file permissions
From:       Peter <gostelow () global ! co ! za>
Date:       2001-10-30 13:43:13

After investigating questions on KDevelop forum and publishing my
findings, I was asked to post here. This refers to KDE 2.2 so is probably
useless.

Basically, KDevelop uses KSimpleConfig to maintain a master project file
(.kdevprj). The problem is KConfigBackend saves the file with owner
permissions only (kdelibs-2.2/kdecore/kconfigbackend.cpp:528 KSaveFile
rConfigFile( filename, 0600 );). Where several people work on the same
project this locks out all other developers. Each user must get the
permissions changed before accessing the project.

My suggestion was to allow group access on a derived config class, either
from KConfigBackend or KSimpleConfig itself. I think the real problem is
that deriving from KConfigBackend would require a completely 'new' config
class, identical to KSimpleConfig, except for the permissions. Reinventing
the wheel. However, by reorganising the KConfigBackend class (and
deriviatives) in KDE, maybe this can be avoided?

Naturally, the KDE config files should have tight permissions, but KDE
developers (not just KDevelop) see KSimpleConfig as a easy way to store
insensitive data and want to allow group, if not other, access.

I guess the question is: Will KDE consider creating two config classes,
one for system configuration and another for general use?

Heh, still not entirely sure this is the right place to post.

Peter