List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: future of kdb / database apps?
From:       Henrik Johnson <hpj () globecom ! se>
Date:       2001-12-16 14:57:24

Harald Fernengel wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I hacked together a KDE SQL Browser using the Qt3 SQL classes, you can get an
>impression at
>
>http://www.bnro.de/~harry/ksqlbrowse/
>
>A SQL IOSlave is also on the way, but I didn't get further than displaying a
>few database rows as HTML.
>
>There is also TOra (at sourceforge), but it is pretty Oracle centered. It has
>its own plugin-system and doesn't use the Qt SQL classes, though.
>
>Anyone who is interested in entering the exciting world of the Qt SQL classes
>(my favourite classes, by the way ;)) please drop me a mail...

I'm the author of TOra and I'm currently working in implemented a QSql
based plugin for TOra. The problem of porting to TOra to direct QSql is
that it isn't nearly versatile enough in it's SQL access to the database
for TOra. The main missing feature being bind variables which can be
both input and output, but it will still work for simple access like
database browsing for instance. TOra features more advanced features
like database PL/SQL debugger for instance for Oracle and here QSql is
simply insufficient. I think a QSql based IOSlave sounds like a great
idea though.

/Mauritz
GlobeCom AB