List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: The handle arrows in kicker (was kicker applets usability)
From:       Waldo Bastian <bastian () kde ! org>
Date:       2001-12-13 1:20:47

On Wednesday 12 December 2001 04:41 pm, David Faure wrote:
> On Thursday 13 December 2001 01:45, you wrote:
> > On Wednesday 12 December 2001 03:57 pm, David Faure wrote:
> > > Err, isn't that what you get ?
> > > Are we talking about the handle at the left of every applet in the
> > > panel ? When clicking on one, I do get a popup menu....
> >
> > I get a popup-menu when I click LMB or RMB on the arrow and when I click
> > RMB on the handle. Clicking LMB on the handle lets me move it.
> >
> > In the rest of KDE an arrow next to something means that LMB on that
> > something gives you a popup. That isn't the case here.
>
> Ah now I see what you mean.
> I don't expect a popup to appear when clicking on the handle,
> only when clicking on the arrow.

Well, one of the key issues of user-interface design is that things that look
the same, should behave the same. A thing that _looks_ like a checkbox,
should behave like a checkbox, a thing that looks like a menu should behave
like a menu.

An arrow on a button means "if you press the button with LMB you get a new
menu".

For all I can see is the arrow part of the "handle" (Although strictly
speaking it seems to be a tiny button all on its own) so pressing LMB on the
handle should give a new menu. (But it doesn't, it only does if you press LMB
on the arrow itself)

It should be noted that Qt already has the concept of "handles" namely on
toolbars. If kicker wants to use handles I think they should look and act the
same as the handles on toolbars. (The kicker handles are painted differently
at the moment)

Cheers,
Waldo