List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: The handle arrows in kicker (was kicker applets usability)
From:       Karol Szwed <gallium () physos ! info>
Date:       2001-12-13 0:27:58

On Thursday 13 December 2001 02:07, Matthias Elter wrote:
> >Well I'd agree with the original poster - they make kicker look
> >cluttered and messey. They should at least be themeable, so that they
> >can be removed in certain themes.
>
> I'm not sure about that. How do you answer user mails when the arrows are
> there only in some themes? "You can use the context menu to remove the
> applet, press the arrow button ... wait, do you use theme X?"

This may be a bit off the point but styling Applet handles is not easy with
the new Qt3 style API. Even if KDE styles had applet handle support, Qt's
styles won't. So for consistency, no styles will have drawing routines for
applet handles.

> >After all, you have to right click on icons in kicker to remove them,
> >and there's no arrow icon there. So surely its just as consistent to
> >not have the arrows on applets.
>
> Neither I nor you need the arrows to find the context menu and yes, it is
> inconsitent but you won't believe how many bugs got submitted to
> bugs.kde.org by people who did not find out how to remove applets.

The current situation is a bit unfortunate:

We have kicker RMB -> Add -> Applet
but there's no kicker RMB -> Remove -> Applet.
	(which would be most logical and obvious)

As for the applet handles, making a tiny kicker applet is not nice as it _is_
ugly due to the relatively large applet handle compared to the applet size.
I'd rather see an option to remove the handles altogether and not hide them.
Hiding them still eats up space.

Regards,
Karol.