List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: The handle arrows in kicker (was kicker applets usability)
From:       Craig Drummond <cpdrummond () freeuk ! com>
Date:       2001-12-12 16:50:59

> Whether or not something is ugly is subjective, so please excuse me
for not
> really considering "I think it's ugly" an argument for or against
some
> feature.

OK - maybe "ugly" was the wrong word to use. But
they do clutter up kicker - when surely a clean
sparsley populated kicker is prefferable, and
easier to use. I mentioned in one post the idea
of adding a "Remove" menu item next to the panels "Add" item - this way
the applets are
removed in a similar fashion to the way they are
added (which is, IMHO, more consistent/logical).
This would also unclutter the look of kicker.

> > I can agree with all of this - but it still looks
> > horrible. I also dislike the tear-off menu stuff,
> > again this just looks nasty - I hated it when I
> > saw it on Gtk apps, and thought "thank god KDE
> > doesn't do that"... I still can't think of a
> > signel good reason for tear of menus - they take
> > up screen and kicker space...
> >
> > Still, I'd like options to remove this. But I can
> > also see KDE getting *way* to many options for
> > stuff like this...
>
> AFAICS this all comes down to "I think it looks horrible", and that
case gets
> covered by my above statement. I am not convinced that the arrows
should be
> removed, and I do not think that they should be part of any theme and/
or
> configurable via KControl.

Hmm... yes, and no. Looks are definetel an issue
- it is a GUI item afterall. But I do think the
cluttering up of kicker with yet more arrows is
a bad idea.

Ciao

Craig.