List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Too technical terms in PO's
From:       Claudiu Costin <claudiuc () work ! ro>
Date:       2001-12-04 21:33:27

          Dear friends,

On Tuesday 04 December 2001 23:21, ian reinhart geiser wrote:

> On Tuesday 04 December 2001 04:16 pm, Claudiu Costin wrote about Re: Too
>
> technical terms in PO's:
> > ? If numbers are so hated, how can you explain for average user
> > difference between image & pixmap. How about things more complicated. Joe
> > user send this number to author if it feel to be cooperative. But Joe
> > will not bother to send long long error message happned in
> > KSuperApp::mangabanga() virtual method... :)
>
> What I have done on the MacOS is i make a dilog that says
> ERROR:  <Short Error Title>  <Code>
> <A longer description of what happend here for more technical users>
>

> Where the V is a show/hide arrow thingy.  This is cool because you can get
> the best of both worlds here.  Short error codes so that users can call a
> support line and not have to feel absolutly stupid.  And a longer error
  Ah, I remember :)
> message for more savvy users.  I know this is more work but I think I have
> seen it being done in a few places in KDE already.
>
> Cheers
> - -ian reinhart geiser
> - --
>
> :-- Ian Reinhart Geiser --:

  I think it will be very nice both for developers and users to have a
small class wich handle all sorts of unexpected errors but predictable.
An uniform approach will go ahead to consistent KDE behaviour and
rapid app. devel. How many times you don't spend usefull time to
implement another and another dialog to tell user it don't have
library foobar installed or barfoo program crashed unexpectedly
and you must quit application... (enter your bad story here).

kind regards,
--
Claudiu Costin
<claudiuc@work.ro>