List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: SQL client in KDE distribution?
From:       Henrik Johnson <hpj () globecom ! se>
Date:       2001-12-02 21:12:34

>Well, I'm going to put my $0.02 in favour of TOra's inclusion, though I think
>the NZ dollar is currently even lower than Canada's ;-)
>
>I think the emphasis on Oracle over <insert free database here> is a pity
>(though understandable).  The major users of this program will no doubt have
>Oracle, especially with cheap Linux pricing.  However, I see the inclusion in
>KDE as bringing mainly casual users to TOra and these people will _not_ have
>Oracle.  Against this, as Shaheed has pointed out, I expect inclusion to
>increase non Oracle support in TOra: Make something available and support
>will follow, but wait for support and you wait forever.  At least TOra has
>some support for MySQL/postgres now.

Actually it currently only has MySQL currently, but I'm working on
support for QSql which will add a whole plethora of other databases
including pretty much all the free ones.

>The more I think about TOra the more uses I can think of for it.  Yes, I
>suspect it will have less users than say kspread, but I expect it will have
>more users than say kdevelop and we include that in KDE.  I think it will be
>a very popular application, and quite possibly make a number of businesses
>pick KDE over Windows.  I would put it in koffice: It appeals to a wide
>number of people using KDE for work and these people probably won't be using
>other development tools.
>
>I do have two concerns: How compatable is it? I think it is essential for
>everything in KDE to compile on at least BSD and Solaris before it is
>included, though this is quite a general rule which I'm in no position to
>make.  My second concern is the size:  The binary on sourceforge is
>three megs which is much smaller than I guessed but still adds an extra
>fifteen minutes to those of us downloading KDE via a modem.

The bulk of the Oracle binary is the OCI library (I link this statically
because Oracle has had a tendency to change this and introduce
incompatabilities even between minor releases, plus rpm has a problem
with it). I haven't checked this but I would think TOra without Oracle
support would be around 1MB in size today (Much of it documentation).
Regarding compatibility it will compile on Solaris since I know I have
some users on that platform. BSD is currently not really an issue since
it doesn't have Oracle, but it will I'm hoping as other database support
is improved, however I'm pretty thorough to only use Qt stuff. The
exception to this rule is the pthread library which is also pretty much
available everywhere (I don't rely on linux specific pequliarities in
pthread as far as I know). Also the plugin version is only used on
Linux, all other platforms will build a monolithic TOra, this could
probably be improved but I have sticked with the simple working approach
(If I don't know I don't use it).

/Mauritz
GlobeCom AB