List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: libkio & libksycoca
From:       Lubos Lunak <l.lunak () sh ! cvut ! cz>
Date:       2001-11-30 13:45:08

On Thu 29. November 2001 00:49, Waldo Bastian wrote:
> On Wednesday 28 November 2001 06:56 am, Lubos Lunak wrote:
> >  Oops, I forgot to mention this. Of course kdefx would have to stay
> > separate. But it's a small library, so it could be built separately and
> > also directly included in kdeui. The same could be done with libDCOP in
> > case there are people who need Qt-only libDCOP.
>
> Wouldn't that be worse?
> E.g. if you have:
> App A, links against libDCOP only
> App B, links against libkdecore
>
> When kdecore links dynamically against libDCOP you have the libDCOP code
> part only once in memory. When libDCOP gets statically included in
> libkdecore, it will be loaded twice. Not that I know of any application
> other than "dcopserver" that uses libdcop but not libkdecore.

 I know few more, those in kdelibs/dcop/client. But dcopserver is kdeinit
started anyway, and we could link this all to kdecore. Or maybe not.

 Ok, how about this:

 DCOP = DCOP
 kdecore = kdecore   (or maybe kdecore+DCOP?)
 kdeui = kdeui
 kdefx = kdefx
 kio = kio+kdesu+kssl+ksycoca+kfile (the new name should be probably
different from libkio)

 Packing everything in one huge lib wouldn't be a thing kdelibs developers
would like I'm afraid (link time increases). Kdefx is standalone for known
reasons, so it should stay alone too. But I don't see any problem with the
schema above. Does anybody, any objections?
 Actually, there is one problem with putting the rest in libkio, the build
order. Now, it's built kdesu->kssl->kio->ksycoca->kio subdirs->kfile . The
new order should become something like
kdesu->kssl->kio+ksycoca->kfile->create new kio->kio subdirs (i.e. everything
that links against any of the libs). I'm also not sure about those variables
like LIB_KSYCOCA, LIB_KFILE. Any idea what to do with this without messing up
everything?

--
 Lubos Lunak
 llunak@suse.cz ; l.lunak@kde.org